"Everyone has a story" turns one!

12th March 2010 was the date of my first post on Everyone has a story. Today is the 1st of April. The first day of the company financial year (for the last time). The days for many other things too. The first day of the new Flexi work hour pilot implementation. The first day that my current department ceases to exist, well, at least on paper. Career wise, it is the beginning of my hijrah, migration if you will to something new. What that holds in store for me only God knows. Next week insyaAllah I will depart for Mecca and Madinah to perform the Umrah and visit the important sites in Islam. In a few months time InsyaAllah, another big event will be at my doorstep. Life is full of change. People change, circumstances change, our surroundings change. What stays constant is our goal to live our lives as much as possible according to God's way to achieve His acceptance. I am not just talking about the dos and don'ts, what is permissible and not, the halal and haraam but in the true spirit of deen.

What a year it has been. Looking back at what I've wrote truly amazes myself. I just can't believe that I have written all that. From simple everyday observations to serious political and religious topics. I know I am not always right but what I write is an expression of myself, my views and feelings at that time. Some views may have changed over this past year which I believe is a good thing as though we must live our lives with strong, just principles, whenever we learn or experience something better, we must be ready to change for the better. Life is never stagnant. Don't let it be!


Looking back on everything, I never really thought I'd end up blogging. I never really was into writing. Yes, I could get carried away whenever I did write, like in emails and stuff but when you write in an email, only one person gets to read it (unless the email then gets forwarded) but as I thought longer, blogging lets one share their ideas with a broader audience, friends, casual surfers, people interested in what you are saying, people that are not, and people who are just curious. Back then, I used to spend alot of time sharing my ideas and thoughts with others. Sometimes the moment that is best to share these ideas and thoughts never come. Sometimes I don't manage to discuss these ideas and thoughts with the people that understand the topic. Both ways, my thoughts and ideas end up buried in my mind. Blogging has allowed me to share these thoughts and ideas whenever I like and whenever I feel most passionate about it. Those who like it can read and those who don't can easily click away without having to be forced to listen to my "lectures". Hehehe... This is what is called freedom of speech and freedom of expression and is one of the reasons people are taking to the streets in the middle east. One must never underestimate the importance and power of freedom of expression. Whether you agree or not with someone's ideas is secondary. One must be given the opportunity and dignity to express their views, right or wrong. But one must remember, freedom of speech is only if what you are saying is good.

The Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم said: “Whosoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, then let him speak good (khair) or remain silent.” 

That is to say that if you have nothing good to say then it is better to just be quiet...

The hadith above got me thinking, though ironic, the harshest words we say are usually spoken to the ones closest to us. They are the ones that are often at the brunt of our emotional seesaw. Therefore we should always appologise to those closest to us for they are the ones that probably require it the mosts.

Remember how the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم emphasised the importance of controlling the tongue:

Mu'az ibn Jabal narrated: I was in company with the Prophet in a travel, and one day I was close to him while we were travelling. So I said: “O Messenger of Allah, tell me of an act which will take me into Paradise and will keep me away from Hell fire…shall I not tell you of the foundation of all of that?” I said: “Yes, O Messenger of Allah,” and he took hold of his tongue and said: “Restrain this.” I said: “O Prophet of Allah, will what we say be held against us?” He said: “May your mother be bereaved of you, Mu’az ! Is there anything that topples people on their faces - or he said on their noses into Hell-fire other than the jests of their tongues?”

Anyhow, getting abit off topic there. Whatever it is, for me at least, the year ahead holds alot of change, exciting changes. I hope I'll be able to adapt and thrive with all these changes in the years ahead and become a better person. What I hope for this blog is that I will be able to continue to spare some time to keep on sharing my ideas and views in the years to come, however infrequent they may be. I pray the best for all, and to you the readers of my blog. Thank you.