Musang 2

Some thing very odd happened yesterday. Odd not because of the event it self, but because it happened for the second time at the exact same spot! Apparently for the past few days/weeks my brothers have been noticing a couple of maggots falling from the ceiling. These maggot had a black tinge to them. It suddenly occurred to us that this might be a repeat of what exactly happened last Eid-ulfitr. When we got home from Kelantan we noticed the same thing. Maggots falling from the ceiling. Back then we suspected that something must've died in the attic, and we suspected the same thing this time. So, up we went, me and my youngest brother into the attic to check out what had died. On top of the dread that we had to find a dead animal carcass somewhere in the attic, we also dreaded being up in a place that so hot at the hottest time of the day! Equipped with forehead mounted torch lights we climbed up into the attic which in itself was rather a challenge due to our ladder which wasn't that tall. Anyhow as we found out later, getting up was the least of our worries. Getting down was even more tricky... and scary! 

The smell of a decomposing body wasn't so strong as the last time. This could mean two things: 1) the dead animal wasn't that big or 2) the carcass was severely decomposed already. So, this is what we found up in the attic:


It was another "musang" or in english the Civet. Yes my Malaysian readers, this is how a musang looks like. It is not a fox as commonly translated to. Other than the ones in Zoo Negara, there are no foxes in Malaysia. Ironically someone has complained about this erroneous use of fox as the translation for musang here. The ones that roam around my neighbourhood are said to be called the musang pandan due to the smell they give out which is similar to the smell of pandan leaves. This one however was very dead and only smelt the horrible stench of a decaying carcass.

Lessons learnt from our previous experience meant that we could dispose of this body much quicker than before using the same method we used the last time. One person would dislodge the carcass whilst another would "catch" the carcass. Obviously no hands were going to be touching the dead animal!

The poor civet like the previous one had his tail stuck at one of the roof tiles on his way into the attic and could not get himself free. The poor animal probably died of starvation. Which would probably explain the not so stinky carcass. Other than that, the carcass was quite small and already fairly decomposed. Its fur was falling off everytime we tried to free the body, which mind you was already really stuck. The tail was so stuck that my brother had to go up there and with his hands wrapped in plastic bags, manually dislodge the tail from the roof tile. Brave stuff. I don't do dead or alive bodies. I was destined never to become a doctor from birth...

After successfully catching the carcass and sealing the bag, we noticed that the carcass was already severly decomposed and was very light. So we thought we'd just put it in the bin and let it decompose with everything else at the land fill.... hehehe... The next tricky bit was to get down from the attic which only after I had badly grazed myself getting down, did we devise a safe method of getting down from the attic. So, apart from the increased cost of maintenance due to more things that can go wrong, living on landed property has the added inconvenience of wildlife dying in the house, and i'm not just talking about ants and cockroaches... Buyers beware...