Merdeka!

I am no native of Kuala Lumpur and both my parents were I would consider recent migrants to the capital of Malaysia. I first lived in Kuala Lumpur in the late 1980s and I finally permanently settled in KL in the summer of 1990. It has been 20 years since then and I must say that I have seen it change alot, even during these past 20 years. I can only imagine how it would change in 1 generation's time?! Anyways, I posted this video on my Facebook and alot of people liked it so I'll re post it on my blog now. Hope you enjoy it. It's cool to see KL not in a perpetual traffic jam with wide pavements for pedestrians and also rickshaws and cyclists abound. Gone are those days unfortunately...


Kuala Lumpur in 1961 was a quiet place without presentday skyscrapers! The railway station looked monumental. A unique place where three races live peacefull together.



another cool montage of KL


You might know that I have some of my roots in Singapore. This video was shot in 1938, long before world war II and even before my parents were born.You can see how this British propaganda is not short on praise for the brits...But check out the traffic wardens, the actually had to stand in the sun all day to direct traffic, man that was harsh. And check out all the people walking around with no shoes!! No shoes on tarmac is torture! I wonder when my ancestors came to Singapore...



Alamak... this is turning into a post on Singapore, but it's ok. Singapore was part of the Malayan Federation until 1964... the next video is Singapore in 1957, Merdeka year when it too was independent of direct British rule.