Kuih Koci

One of my favourite Malay Kuihs... Today my boss ordered like 5 packs of this kuih from a kakak that sells them at the office for a friend of hers. Each box must contain around 20 pieces. He shared one box with us, staff but as I was fasting today I couldn't enjoy them when they're at their nicest - when they're still hot! Nevertheless, they're still good anyhow with the kuih being soft and not to rubbery and the filling not too sweet. Just nice. I took home 5 pieces konon for buka puasa but as I had my Abs class and Kickboxing today I just had iftar with plain water and enjoyed the kocis in the car on the way home. I've noticed that commuting by car nowadays allows me to do many things while in the car. Things that I wouldn't have been able to do if I rode my bike. Things like texting, learning via self learn audio tape, eating, wearing my sox... and many more...


Anyways, this is how the kuih koci looks like for those not aquainted with the dish:



Yummy! Fresh koci is stuff that dreams are made of!! =P
 
I did a quick google search and found the recipe for it. I doubt I'd ever try making it but maybe some of you my kind readers might... if you do dun forget to let me try some! hehehehe... Anyways, a little bit more packing for Kinabalu for me now. Good night.

Ingredients
Filling:
  • 50g roasted peanuts, grind coarsely
  • 100g grated white coconut
  • 60g brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 300g glutinous rice flour, sifted
(A):
  • 1 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 tbsp sugar1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp oil
Preparation of banana leaves:
Cut into 20 pieces of 10cm diameter rounds. Scald in hot water, wipe dry and brush lightly with oil.

Method
Put peanuts and the rest of the filling ingredients in a kuali and stir-fry lightly over a low fire for about 10 minutes. Dish out and cool.

Put glutinous rice flour into a mixing bowl. Add in (A) and knead well to form a soft dough. Divide the dough equally into 20 portions. Form each into round balls and flatten each piece with your palm. Add about 1 teaspoon of filling in the centre. Gather up the edges to seal the filling inside. Fold a piece of banana leaf into a cone. Put in the filled dough and wrap and tuck in the ends neatly.

Arrange kuih on a steamer and steam over rapidly boiling water for 15 minutes.