What defines you?

What defines you? I'm talking about things that people remember you most for. For me, it would be Taekwondo and Tennis. The two things that I have always done since childhood until now. I was never remembered as a great speaker, a smart student nor a great sportsman, but everyone that knows me long enough knows that I've always been either kicking and punching or perfecting my top spin...

So, tennis. I started playing tennis what I joined secondary school in Lembah Keramat. I wasn't the "jock" type so games like football were definately off limits to me. I didn't smoke so there were not much in common with the other footballers. So an individual sport suited me most. Our school had a very old and dilapidated court but it was good enough to start learning to play with. We had this pro tennis coach that was malay and wanted to coach malay kids. He thought it was his obligation to do so. I know that sentence sounds a little racially biased but the reality of the time was that tennis was percieved as a very elite sport among Malays and not many Malays played it. As far as everyone was concerned only rich people play tennis and most rich people were Chinese. Well, my area was apredominantly Malay area so streotypes like that prevailed. Anyways, I got cheap coaching at the actually quite late age of 13. At that time I joined a few competitions but obviously failed miserably. 13 years old was a bit late to be good in my category.

When I joined KUSESS, my tennis also progressed a little. The school was new and the courts were pretty good. At that point I had a good sparring partner in my classmate Hadi. We both made it to the Selangor games, representing  erm... hehehe Kuala Selangor. It was a good experience going to centralised training, mingling with the other athletes from other games. But to be honest Kuala Selangor isn't really a tennis powerhouse. Elite sport remember. Petaling Jaya were the obvious favourites but it didn't matter, We both lost at quite early stages anyways.

I don't deal well with competition stress. Still don't.

At KMYS I used to play tennis almost everyday. On weekend mornings I'd practice my service on my own whilst listening to my mp3 player. The tennis courts were near the girl's chalet area. I guess they all thought I was a crazy guy playing tennis all by myself! hehehe...

At Leeds I didn't play much tennis as there were no real nice courts and the courts only open during spring/summer - the times I was not in the UK....

So why suddenly the talk about tennis? Well... I just had my racket restrung today. I've not played tennis for more than a year now. Since starting my martial arts I didn't have much time for tennis anymore. This saturday is the selection event for the Koprat tennis team. I'm not thinking that I'll make the cut since i've not been playing for over a year but who knows, it might all come back to me then...wish me luck!

My trusted Dunlop superlong racket I have owned since I was 16 years old. It has served me well over the years and I hope it will serve me better this year.

I have been playing for the Koprat team for three years already. Last year I didn't as I missed the selections as I was abroad on work assignment. This year I'm gonna try out. Hopefully better luck this year! Anyways, getting awfully sleepy now. gonna catch up on some shut eye now. Good night guys...

 Some old training photo. By chance the ball is right at the point of impact with my racket...cool pic whoever took it.