The remedy

I remember that word and it always reminds me of the film "Braveheart" where he says to his girl "well that's some thing we'll have to remedy then" when he got a negative answer to whether she can understand Latin...

Anyways, this is not about Latin or any language for that matter. It's about a problem with my scooter that has been going on for a while now. The problem is that there's petrol dilution in my engine oil. Because I service my bike myself I noticed that the oil that comes out when I drain the oil is more than what i put in. It's supposed to be less than what i put in... hmm... I smell a problem brewing.. (literally cos there was Petrol smell in the oil).

The first course of action as with anything with me is:

1) Refer to the internet to see if anyone else has had a similar problem before.

The obvious first place to look is at the UK X9 owner's club forum... and sure enough, it's a common problem. The problem is the thermostat is faulty and the coolant is "always on". Usually the thermostat switches on and lets coolant in at  85 degrees Celsius. I noticed this problem with more understanding after I read up on it on the net. Whenever it rained, my coolant temperature would be drop and whenever it' stopped raining it'll go up again. A thermostat's function is to stabilise the coolant temperature. It shouldn't be fluctuating like this...

Anyways, today I started to take apart the bike to get to the thermostat. I downloaded the service station manual so i know where it is and how to take it out. It seemed like and easy task, and since i'm quite pokai nowadays, I dun wanna be paying someone to do something so simple... but the whole taking apart the plastic bodypanels yg leceh tu... :s But i succeeded. And this is what i found:

 See the gap at the top there? I think that's the problem but we'll compare with a new one when it arrives...

That's the cover and the three screws that hold it in

 This is where the thermostat lives... abit of a tight squeeze to get the old screwdriver in...
So, I'll go off to get the new thermostat now. I'll update the blog afterwards. laters...