Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa

 It should be quite apparent now that I have a soft spot for historical films or epics set in antiquity, especially if they props and costumes are nice. The last one was the Thai epic, Queens of Langkasuka which I blogged about before. That one had a flimsy storyline but the costumes were excellent and the fight scenes oklah... not really silat but hey, fighting is fighting...


I heard that KRU was going to do a historical epic film but I didn't really pay much attention to the title until I came across the trailer today. All I can say is it looks AWESOME! The props don't seem to be typical low budget Malay film. I think it's gonna be in english i think with the export market in mind. They picked the title Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa which I think is a pretty good pick. I think that the old Hindu stories of Malaya had more exaggeration and better storytelling value than the post Hindu Malaya... just my opinion. I don't know many old Malay stories and i guess this is a really good way to expose the newer generation to the history of this land be it an epic legend or not. For those who are not too versed in the story, here's a short summary from wikipedia about the said legend:

That head was soooo photoshopped onto that body! hehehe - it so disproportioned

Hikayat Merong Mahawangsa or The Kedah Annals is an ancient Malay literature that chronicles the bloodline of Merong Mahawangsa and the foundation of the Kedah, a state in Malaysia. Though there are historical accuracies, there are many incredible assertions. The era covered by the text ranged from the opening of Kedah by Merong Mahawangsa, allegedly a descendant of Alexander the Great of Macedonia till the acceptance of Islam.

Yeah man! cool props... this looks promising!
Merong Mahawangsa was a Hindu and there were nine Hindu rulers before Phra Ong Mahawangsa converted to Islam in 1136 and took the name Sultan Mudzafar Shah. The annal also describes Chola's attack on Kedah.The descendants of Phra Ong Mahawangsa is still ruling Kedah able to trace their lineage from Merong Mahawangsa.
KD Merong Mahawangsa is a Royal Malaysian Navy vessel named in the ancient monarch's honor.

Taken from a random guy's blog. Looks like he got to go on set!

Here's the trailer. Pretty cool for a local production huh? I hope the final product is better than Puteri Gunung Ledang!... ;)