Have you read the instructions?

Ok, I was supposed to update the "Remedy" post but a few things happened since that that warranted a new post. Well, On Saturday I did get the thermostat that I was waiting for and straight away I planned to do the swap myself. 1) I'm currently in a position of financial weakness (read: pokai), 2) I get alot of enjoyment from doing stuff myself and 3) I don't trust the local mechanics as they do not know the specific problems with my model of superscoot.


The new thermostat on the right compared to the old one on the left. Note that the old one cannot fully close at room temperature.

So, with reasons for my manual labour established I firmly set off on my thermostat replacing endeavor. Since the screws to access the thermostat was really quite remote and alot of pesky body panels needed to be removed, I didn't want to install a faulty new thermostat so I set out to test the new thermostat as suggested by the good old internet and also the Scooter's Service Station manual which I obtained form www.scribd.com. So, as with the last post heres how the old faulty thermostat looks like. Note the gap. The thermostat is stuck in this position allowing the coolant from the secondary circuit to enter the cylinder head thus providing an unnecessary extra amount of cooling to the engine. I my case, a cold engine results in more fuel being introduced into the engine causing alot of it not to burn resulting in alot of petrol diluted in the engine oil. Ok, I should've warned our non-technical readers there. Anyways, a perfectly working thermostat will open only at a certain temperature, in my case 85 degrees C and allow extra cooling only when temperatures exceed that temperature. This way a steading operating temperature can be maintained. Cool. So, here's the test.

1st, check out the thermostat at room temperature. Note that it is in a closed position.

No hot water: Thermostat closed

2nd, boil some water in a kettle and pour the water into the container with the thermostat, watch as the themostat opens. In the cooling system this would've allowed water from the 2ndary circuit to enter the engine to provide extra cooling to help maintain the engine temperature at the optimum engine temperature.


Hot water added: Thermostat open! Yay!

So, having been satisfied with the thermostat test results I went on to install the new baby into my bike. All rather painless procedure as all the body panels had been removed in the morning. After re-installing the thermostat I switched on the bike and it got up to temperature quickly as it should. Cool!..... So I thought.... So at that time I re assembled all the body panels again which was such a pain - Thank god for electric screw drivers!

The following day, I suited up ready to go to Mentari but as i set off, I have barely reached the MRR2 which is like 2 minutes from my house and the temperature gauge got pasted the middle mark! Damn!! I quickly turned back and when I got back, I had no mood to switch to the car and go to Mentari anymore. This was really puzzling me. I tested the thermostat and it was working perfectly. What could be the problem...?!

First time I took off the body panels I could get away with this. 2nd time i had to remove all the lower and back body panels! I wish I had photos of that but I was too pre-occupied with solving the problem to take any photos..

The the obvious thing to do was to refer back to the service station manual. Everything should be there. So i read the chapter again and low and behold, there are MORE pages after the pages that I read the day before! In my haste to get the job done quickly I failed to notice that there's a "coolant filling procedure" which involved bleeding the cooling system to get all the nasty trapped air in the cooling system. As we all know (sorry, getting a bit technical here) air is a good insulator so any air in the cooling system would impair the performance of the cooling system. Apparently the procedure involved letting the air out of a "bleed valve" located a place that was not detailed out in the manual! Cursed Italian manual writers! hehehe... So I had to peel away 90% of the body panels, comparing the image of the bleed valve in the illustration with what I saw on the bike... It was not easy! After several long minutes looking I found the devil located under the underseat storage box. I followed the procedure to bleed the system and with faith in what I had done painstakingly put back all the body panels. After Zohor prayers at the mosque (at which i prayed for my repairs to work), I restarted the bike again I went on a short ride around my neighborhood and the surrounding areas to see if the engine temperature would stabilise. The route was a mix of  public roads and a high speed stretch on the MRR2. Alhamdulillah, much to my relief all was good. the temperature stayed dead level and didn't budge, even in the blazing mid day heat! =) I was a happy bunny! After all that hard work I treated the bike to a quick wash and wax. Ah... my bike looks like new now! yay! hehehe...

So, the moral of the story:

If you have a dad/uncle/brother/husband/boyfriend/atuk that complains while DIYing, please, please do them a favor:  ask them "Have you read the instructions properly?!" hehehe... If i had to do it the second time I'd do just that! - At least I had alot of practice peeling the body panels of my scooter so the next time would be relatively quicker. lets hope that there's not gonna be a next time! Laters peeps.