Qawwali

My youngest brother who is 17 is the source of all Islamic music or nasheed nowadays as he's the only one left that goes to Islamic school. Lately he's introduced us to this singer called Maher Zain. I thought he was Pakistani at first but it turns out that he was of Lebanese descent. Well, anyways maybe not that lately... i've just only noticed. The thing that hit the spot was a song "Allahi Allah Kiya Karo" which bore a very familiar tune. Here's the song:



Lyrics to Allahi Allah Kiya Karo :
Allahi Allah kiya karo
Dukh na kisi ko diya karo
Jo duniya ka malik hai
Naam ussi ka liya karo.

Allah hee Allah…

Allahi Allah kiya karo
Dukh na kissi ko diya karo
Jo duniya ka malik hai
Naam usi ka liya karo.

Allahi Allah…

Just like a sunrise can’t be denied
Oh, just like the river will find the sea
O Allah, You’re here and You’re always near
And I know without a doubt
That You always hear my prayer

Such ki raah pay chala karo
Dukh na kisi ko diya karo
Jo duniya ka malik hai

Naam ussi ka liya karo.

Allah hee Allah..

Allah hee Allah kiya karo
Dukh naa kisi ko diya karo
Jo duniya ka malik hai
Naam usi ka liya karo.

Allah hi Allah

So many bright stars
Like diamonds in the sky
Oh, it makes me wonder
How anyone can be blind
To all the signs so clear
Just open your eyes
And I know without a doubt
You will surly see the light

Aisa zulm na kiya karo
Dukh na kisi ko diya karo
Jo duniya ka malik hai
Naam usi ka liya karo.

Allah hee Allah

Allah he Allah kiya karo
Dukh na kisi ko diya karo
Jo duniya ka malik hai
Naam ussi ka liya karo.

Allah Hi Allah Kiya Karo Dukh Na Kissi Ko Diya  


Then it hit me. This sounded alot like a Qawwali song. For the benefit of those who do not know what Qawwali is, here's what Wikipedia says about it:

Qawwali (Urdu/Persian/Pashto/Sindhi: قوٌالی; Punjabi/Saraiki: ਕ਼ੱਵਾਲੀ, قوٌالی; Brajbhasha/Hindi: क़व्वाली; Bangla: কাওয়ালী) is a form of Sufi devotional music popular in South Asia, particularly in areas with a historically strong Muslim presence, such as Pakistan, especially Punjab and Sindh, and parts of North India. The style is rare, though not entirely absent, in North and West Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Kashmir. It is a musical tradition that stretches back more than 700 years.
Originally performed mainly at Sufi shrines or dargahs throughout South Asia, it has also gained mainstream popularity. Qawwali music received international exposure through the work of the late Pakistani singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, largely due to several releases on the Real World label, followed by live appearances at WOMAD festivals. Other famous Qawwali singers include Pakistan's Sabri Brothers.
Although famous throughout the world, its hub remains the Punjab province of Pakistan from where it gained entry into the mainstream commercial music industry and international fame.

I was first introduced to Qawwali music when I was invited to the gala showing of Yasmin Ahmad's last movie: "Talentime". This song caught my ear. It was called "O Re Piya" which I later found out was sang by famous Qawwali singer Rahat Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. And at the gala screening they had the little girl that did that indian dance which was absolutely beautiful. Too bad I couldn't find the video on Youtube but those who have the Talentime movie can check out the dance at the part where Mahesh's mum says he cannot be with the Malay girl and Mahesh does this whole dramatic sign language in the rain scene telling him that erm.. my video version has no sign language subtitles! grrr!! After that the Malay hero, Hafiz's terminally ill mother eats the symbolic strawberry and dies. Kira tragedy moment for all lah ni... The dance really suits the song. In fact i'm gonna watch the dance now while waiting for the song for this post to upload. I watched Talentime so many times and I think it's a great movie. Everyone especially all Malaysians should watch it so that racial strereotypes can be broken. Anyways, here's O Rey Piya below. Typical Sufi lyrics of love and the love of God in a poetic, abstract manner... well, to me abtractlah.




For those who want to sing along you can use this... meaning to the words are below.
O Re Piya - Rahat Fateh Ali Khan

O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..

Udne laga kyon man baawla re
Aaya kahan se yeh hosla re
O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..

Tanabana tanabana bunti hawaa haaye bunti hawa
Boondein bhi to aaye nahi baaz yahan

Sagish mein shaamil sara jahan hai
Har zare zare ki yeh iltiza hai

O re Piya
O re Piya haye..
O re piya haye..
O re Piya

ni re ,re re ga
ga ga ma
ma ma pa
pa ma ga re sa
sa re re sa
ga ga re
ma ma ga
pa pa ma
dha dha pa
ni ni sa sa pa
pa sa ma pa dha ni sa ni
re ni sa sa sa.. . . . ..

Nazrein bolen duniya bole
dil ki zaban haaye dil ki zubaan
Ishq maange ishq chahe koi toofan

Chalna aahiste ishq naya hai
Pehla yeh vada humne kiya hai

O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..
O re piya
Piyaaaaa....

yehhh piya

Nange pairo pe angaro
chalti rahi haaye chalti rahi
Lagta hai ke gairo mein
Palti rahi haaye
le chal wahan jo
Mulk tera hai
Jahil zamana
dushman mera hai

haaye

O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..
O re piya haye..
I don't know if the translation's good but I found this on the web. Can anybody verify?

Oh my love
Oh my love
Oh my love

Why is my crazy heart starting to fly?
How did it gain so much confidence?

Oh my love
Oh my love

Right to left, Up to down, the wind knits
Even the raindrops are not in control

This whole world is included in this conspiracy
Everywhere this is the prayer

Oh my love
Oh my love
Oh my love
Oh my love

The eyes speak, the world measure
What the heart says
Love wants, love needs, some storm

Go slow, this love is new
This is the first promise, we’ve made

Oh my love
Oh my love

Lover…….. Lover……..

With bare feet, I walked on flame balls
It seems like I’ve been living between strangers
Take me with you, to your country
This foolish world is my enemy

Oh my love
Oh my love